Friday, May 29, 2009

Quiet times.

Today has been a slow day. Our neighbor was supposed to come by today to help bushhog but he hasn't gotten around to it. As it is, the grasses and tallow trees are growing up all over the place. Most of the vasey grass has had time to make seed and the seeds are ripe now. I'm not familiar with how that stuff grows out here but the pasture was always short before, because of the cows, so there's a possibility that things will really get crazy now that it has time to grow up and propagate. We will see.
I mentioned to Seth how nice it would be to be able to maintain data with GIS technology and then we could *really* get an idea of just how agressive some of these invasive species are. The blackberries are nice for fruit (the fact that they are growing wild means we don't have to tend to them!) but in open patches that haven't been mowed, fresh green growth is shooting up all over the place.
I have a few plants around the place that I still haven't identified. There's something Ronnie calls "tea weed" that I haven't been able to find out about. That grows just as wildly as the thistle and the tallows. Maybe I will take a picture sometime and someone will be able to help me identify it.

Ah yes, and the hens made it through the night. I hope we can set something up for them this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment