Sunday, September 6, 2009

Spiny Amaranth


I believe I have made a new discovery with my plant identifications. I am going to contact a local expert for verification, but in the meantime I am tentatively identifying a previously posted plant as spiny amaranth.
Here's a photo of my plant. One key characteristic that I am not really sure of is the plant's spiny texture... but I will confirm that tomorrow. It sure looks like a scary plant to me, and I used to regard it as evil. Alas, it may be quite valuable to us, as amaranth is a very nutritious food source.

I'm not going to go on a research tangent, as this was an accidental discovery during another research project. However, survivallady.com has a nice little blurb about amaranth in her post "Using Wild Plants As Food."

No comments:

Post a Comment