Thursday, August 20, 2009

Red-tailed Hawk

While hiking with Callum around the back of the property, we spotted a large bird flapping its wings in a thicket. I got a bit closer and the bird sidled over and crouched down among the branches. I could tell it was either young or injured, hoping it was young and NOT injured.

I went back a little later with my camera and got some photographs. They aren't the greatest images, but they are alright. I submitted the photos to the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries and they are going to identify the bird for me and get back to me.



EDIT: The biologist wrote back to me and says it is a red-tailed hawk. That was what I suspected when I FIRST saw the bird, but then checked around on google and thought it looked more like a young Eagle. A good reason not to trust google too much... (especially considering that I try to use the internet as a resource for identifying edible plants!)

Anyway, the hawk must have been injured because it was in pretty rough condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment