Friday, June 12, 2009

Business Plants, Homestead updates

What's been going on around here the past couple of days?
We've made a more permanent chicken coop by tying a tarp over the hay ring that we were already using. Then we fastened the wire around the ring to make it more secure. It's a good little run area for the 4 hens we have now and it will be easy to move. We had planned on constructing a chicken tractor but I'm actually more pleased with this because it was essentially free.
We are still moving them from the run to the little chicken house at night. Soon we are planning on fastening some nesting and laying boxes to the run so they'll have somewhere safe to go at night.

In the next few days we will probably be cutting down some of the Tallow trees. I think it's important that we cut them down before they go to seed. Some already have little green seeds forming.
Callum and I walked around yesterday morning pulling up dozens of little seedlings near the fenceline. They come up very easily when they are young.

I planted two longleaf pines that I had dug up from another area of the property. They are so tiny right now. One is about 4 inches tall and the other is maybe 7-8 inches.

I also have 3 figs I'm going to be planting soon, now that they've got some healthy leaves. These were given to me a few months ago as root cuttings. I thought two of them were going to die but they are doing great now.

Hm... other news is that we are looking into business options, such as becoming an LLC. It was Andrew's idea and I'm exploring that idea. I think it would be a great thing to get started. Not sure what all we would produce but I have QUITE a few ideas.

Abrupt end.

No comments:

Post a Comment