Friday, June 5, 2009

Overall land survey.

I've been busy researching the few different species that I can identify out here. The purpose of doing this is to try an catalog any native species we may have growing. It has slowly sunk in that because this is old pastureland, the chances of any healthy remnants of prairie being out here is pretty slim. The original composition of this area was probably pine forests anyway, so it's very unlikely that native prairie plants would suddenly show up in a heavily grazed field.

Here's a quick description of what I have identified (sorry, my pictures have come out blurry):
Around us:
-Horse Nettle

-Bahia grass

-tallow tree, of course
-dewberry, blackberry

-smartweed

-thistle (bull thistle I think)

In the bog:
-lizards tail
-pickerel weed

Some other things I *may* have identified:
-little quaking grass?

-vasey grass?

Without having identified everything, at least a few things are pretty clear. Almost all of these species can be considered invasive *but* most are especially common in disturbed soils, or land that has been overgrazed. No big surprise there, but it's useful information because that means with a good management plan, we can get some more native species established. Eventually, after several years, some of the plants that rely on overgrazing to be competitive will back off and some of the native grasses and wildflowers will start to take over. According to the Meadow Makers, when the natives get established, controlled burns can be used on a regular basis to manage the health of the prairie.

Our neighbor Rodney came with a bush hog yesterday to mow the area around our house and he also cut some paths through the fields and cleared the areas around my newly planted trees. A little bit of lawn makes the place seem so different and I won't deny that I kind of enjoy it. Especially for now, because it gives me a better idea of how much room we have and how the different gardening areas (wild grasses vs vegetables vs some ornamentals and shade trees) can be arranged. He left two huge patches (maybe 2500 sq ft each) out front with a path bording them. The path gives it kind of a "neat" look, plus makes it nicer to walk around and look at things.

I am thinking if we leave those areas for the native grasses and wildflowers, we can even have a border. Ronnie has a bunch of piles of antique bricks that are behind the old hay barn (lying beneath the bamboo forest). I think those would be beautiful as a border, though I'm not sure if there are enough for that whole area.

This is what I've been up to the past few days. A lot of my time is spent on research and walking around looking at things, trying to visualize and plan the best arrangement.

I also tend to have a problem with excessive enthusiasm. In other words, I'm easily distracted so it takes me quite a while to finish different projects.

Even writing this blog has taken nearly two hours because a little yellow songbird came and sat in my window and I spent awhile trying to figure out what it was at whatbird.com.
Then I got sidetracked again by Cornell University's Project FeederWatch.

I'm a huge nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment