Thursday, June 18, 2009

Another day on the farm.

I feel like things were going well for about two straight weeks. I managed to have quite a lot of time to update the blog and go on little adventures around the property. Now it seems like everything has changed--

Oh yeah, my husband got another job. Instead of him being home to share the duties of baby-rearing, I'm back to full-time during the days and along with it have come the blues. I started this blog knowing that I was going to have to admit to some setbacks and long periods of no productivity-- but actually admitting to it almost feels like a failure.

Of course there is no true failure here. I'm taking care of my baby and everything else around here as best I can-- absolutely worth it. It's just that in the process I've had to neglect a few things that would otherwise help to keep me motivated and keep my spirits up. It will take awhile to balance it all out again.

Callum is teething. Over the weekend he also had a low fever and seemed a little ill, then a doctor's appointment on Tuesday (regular checkup) and last night he broke out in a rash. Now he's miserable and teething.
Also over the weekend Seth and I were *both* sick. Seth more sick than I was, so I tried to help him and care for the restless little baby all day (I think it was Sunday.. or Monday).

Perhaps I'm getting used to it again. I wish I could take Cal outside and walk around but it's been in the mid- to upper- 90's here all week and it's just miserable. Early mornings are okay because we can find a few spots of shade at times. For the most part it's like walking out into an oven and just not pleasant.

Anyway, Seth is working! We aren't living off of our savings anymore so we might afford to spend a bit on some of our projects (yeah, or finish paying the bill for some of our old projects...).

We still have to finish the chicken house. We haven't lost anymore hens, and what we have works for now but it could definitely be better. It seems like we've hit a wall with this project. I suppose its because we've been trying to work out the cheapest way to do it. There are still some materials available around the property for us to use so maybe we can get it done without spending anymore... We will see.

Some rosemary that I started from seed are coming up. I only started a few because I didn't think it was a good time to start them, but there are two precious little seedlings now. All of the other plants are doing well. I'm looking to mulch everything soon because the heat is getting bad and I didn't have enough mulch to begin with.

All things coming along slowly... I hope to get some time for a very thorough update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment