Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Kitchen and electricity.

Seth keeps telling me that before we do anything, we need to address the basics-- get the "infrastructure" set up and *then* I can worry about the garden. Sounds good, but geez, where to start?
Recently we had a great upset over the sink. We have a shallow, stainless steel standard indoor kitchen sink and I detest it. Dishes pile up over the course of the day, or when we have dinner guests, and it just makes the entire kitchen, and thus the entire house, look awful. Also, since the sink is so shallow, water sprays or spills out of the sink on to the counter when we're washing dishes and the cheap particle board has started to swell and buckle underneath. Its just nasty looking.

The other day the sink drains were clogged from food getting caught down in there. Yes, and easy solution to this would be to get a strainer so the food doesn't go down the drain, but at the time I packed up the dirty dishes and went outside to wash them and it was so much more pleasant.

I had the sun on my face, and the water goes into the ground and waters some of my trees (we use ivory soap, not detergent, so it isn't as nasty for the ground). It reminded me of backcountry camping and it felt good.

We've been talking about having an outdoor kitchen. What we'd start with would be a big, deep basin sink and dish drying rack. We may switch from the ivory soap to something else, and the water could be directed directly to water the plants.
It's kind of silly that we had to put down a treatment plant out here because ultimately I don't know if we will even be using it in the long-run. I'd like to recycle our gray water and have a compost toilet and everything... but... oh well. It was a parish requirement or we couldn't do anything at the time. It does still drain out on the property.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I just got our electricity bill for this month. Last month we were using an average of 31 kWh/day and this month it was closer to 35 kWh/day. ACK!
That may be close to average, or maybe even a little less considering we've just gone through an extensive heat wave with temps in the 100's for the past 3-4 weeks... but still I think that's pretty high. Especially for "homesteaders."

Since we're talking about moving the kitchen, I am looking into the possibility of kerosene cook stoves. There's a great discussion on kerosene cook stoves at endtimesreport.com-- and frankly a decent discussion on a lot of other survival/self-sufficiency related items.
I'm trying to determine now whether that really would be a more efficient option. Better in emergencies or disasters indeed, but is it really more cost-effective?

I will be looking into some of this stuff and plan to come back with some more information to share on my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment