Monday, June 8, 2009

Community.

When I write, I'm usually nursing or wrestling with my 6 month old. Now that he's crawling we've worked out a system where I have the laptop on the floor and he chases me around, or I chase him around. My work is punctuated by cuddling and kissing and constant tug-of-war with the objects he just can't wait to sample.
He is always happy for a break, though-- a trip around the yard, visiting the chickens, or just sitting on the porch. It's a good life we have.

One of our friends came over last Friday and Seth played his guitar as the sun set behind him. The light faded out of the sky and Brennan joined in, singing some lyrics he had written down. The vibes were so positive.



"This is what it's all about. This is what we're doing," I realized. Seth nodded with understanding.
That moment illuminated this whole "dream" that I have. This is the human aspect of the dream. Moments like these are the reasons, on a personal level, for seeking self-sufficiency and preserving nature.

I spend a lot of time thinking about this project and that project and trying to figure out how to get things going and how to make things work out. Even though I know that the whole point of all of this is each individual moment I can't help but get caught up in the planning. It's not even the final outcome that I am considering, because I never envision a final outcome... just a constant, steady work-in-progress.

On that note, I'm going to get a little more reading in while the little one is asleep... so I can spend time with him when he wakes up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment